Saturday, July 28, 2007

FO: Daisy Cardi

"When he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy's dock ... his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it." - The Great Gatsby

Daisy Cardigan
Size: 9-12 mos.
Yarn: Rowan Handknit Cotton in Delphinium, 5 balls
Needles: Size 3 and 6
Extras: DK cotton yarn in grape and teal for embroidery;
waiting to find perfect buttons

Detail of the front of the cardi. I finished the knitting and weaving in of ends a week ago. It's taken me that long to put in all those embroidered flowers. Finishing and me, we don't speak much.

Oh, but when we do, we can't seem to remember why it is that we don't speak oftener. The original cardi in the book has just one color of flower. I wasn't sure I'd have enough of either scrap yarn for all the daisies, so I just alternated. I like the effect; it's a bit more fun and playful. Perfect for little girls with chubby cheeks. There are still a few things left (namely, blocking the button bands and sewing in buttons) but I consider this a finished object. I think I have another couple weeks to get to the buttons.

There's one thing I will not forgive knitting for: The thinness of my wallet. In addition to the books and the yarn and the needles and the notions, knitting introduced me to etsy. Just when I thought I had gained control over my monstrously greedy addiction to yarn.

The bird's nest pendant was too cute...and I already had enamel bird earrings to complement it. Although I doubt I'll wear this all at once. That might be a little too bird-crazy.

And maybe my favorite earrings, ever. They're hearts! They're leaves! They're hearts and leaves! They're mine, man.

No comments: